27th Annual Occupational Health Nursing Certification (COHN and COHN-S) Review
July 29 - 31, 2013
Norfolk Waterside Marriott, Norfolk, Virginia
This 2 1/2-day course is designed to provide an intensive review for Occupational Health Nurses preparing for the American Board of Occupational Health Nurses Certification exam. Nurses interested in a comprehensive review of Occupational Health Nursing will also find this course beneficial.
This course covers the major components of the certification exam in occupational health nursing including direct care, management, health promotion, counseling, toxicology, industrial hygiene, environmental relationships, case management, legal and ethical issues and research. In addition to instruction, pre and post test and a set of comprehensive manuals are provided to assist participants in effectively preparing for the certification exam.
- Bonnie Rogers,
RN, DrPH, COHN-S, FAAN, University of North
Carolina, Gillings School of Global Public Health, Public Health
Hill, NC; Director, North Carolina Occupational
Safety and Health Education and Research Center
- Kathleen Buckheit,
MPH, RN, COHN-S/CM/SM, FAAOHN, Continuing Education
Director, North Carolina Occupational Safety and
and Research Center
- Judy Ostendorf, MPH, COHN-S, CCM, FAAOHN, Clinical Assistant Professor, Occupational Health Nursing Program, UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Deputy Director, North Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Education and Research Center
- Discuss management concepts and principles within the context of the business setting.
- Discuss major regulatory issues affecting occupational health nursing practice.
- Discuss concepts and principles of toxicology, industrial hygiene, epidemiology, research, ergonomics, hearing conservation and respiratory protection.
- Describe OHN strategies for providing direct care to workers, and the role and unique functions of the occupational health nurse.
- Identify major lifestyle risk factors and OHN concepts and strategies for health promotion and protection.
- Discuss principle strategies for counseling and health education.
- Define current OHN functions and roles.
- Discuss counseling and case management strategies with application to occupational health settings.
- Discuss test-taking strategies.
This 2 1/2-day course covers the major components of the certification exam including direct care, management, health education, counseling, toxicology, industrial hygiene, environmental relationships, legal and ethical issues, and research. Excellent resource materials will be provided to review and study before the exam.
- Day 1: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
- Day 2: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Day 3: 8:00 am - 12:35 pm
This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the American Association of Occupational Health Nurses (AAOHN), an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation for 20.0 contact hours.
Get the Early Bird Special! Register before July 7 and save $20!
$675 before July 7, $695 after
also submit your
registration via email;
please be sure
to include the course
title and date.
For questions concerning the course content, contact
Bonnie Rogers, Course Director, at 919-966-1765
or Kathleen Buckheit at 919-962-2101.
Please review our Registration, Cancellation, and Refund Policies.
For further information on this course, contact the NC ERC office at email@example.com, or call us at 919-962-2101.